Thursday, February 16, 2012

When the cakes began

I think so many home bakers start out by just making treats for the family.  I don't have kids - thank @#$! but there are plenty of kids in my family.  I think my passion started when people actually started asking me to make stuff instead of me just forcing my treats upon everyone.  When my twin niece and nephew turned one, I was honored that my sister-in-law called me to see if I'd make the cake.  It was a simple design - she had found a shaped pan from Wilton and even ordered it.  It's the Wilton Monkey Pan and was a decent enough product to work with.  I think now I'd prefer to attempt a monkey without the help of a shaped pan now but at the time I didn't care.   I used the directions that came with the pan as a guide for decorating but I put this cake on top of a double layer sheet - or half sheet I guess.  I filled it with a buttercream - yum.  One other added feature - my SIL also bought some little royal icing jungle creatures which I stuck on the sides of the cake just to work them in. They are hard to see in the picture but if you look under the monkey's foot you can kindof see one.  It's not my best work but it was brilliant at the time!  The little flowers are just a basic buttercream.  I clearly need to practice my writing.  Happy birthday Spencer and Scarlett!  I can't believe you'll be TWO soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment